Wednesday, March 21, 2012

AppleScript to Copy Message to Clipboard in Outlook 2011

I've created an AppleScript for Outlook 2011 that will copy some key information as plain text and throw it on the clipboard! I expect this to save me a good deal of time in the months to come.

Now that we're using ServiceNow to record our interactions, I'm finding myself having to copy and paste lots of info from emails into plain text fields on an incident or task in ServiceNow.

Specifically, for diligent tracking of communications, I've been recording the following info:
  • Subject
  • From
  • Sent
  • To
  • Cc
  • Body

The problem is that copying and pasting all that information into a template that I have to retype every time are all very time-consuming and mundane operations. This script allows me to get a well-formatted snip of the key information with a few simple clicks. Whew!

EDIT: March 22, 2012

Okay, I've discovered a simpler alternative: Reply to the email you want to copy and then copy what you want. The automatically composed reply will contain the same header information that this script copies.

Oh, well, I guess I'll just take this as a fun exercise in learning AppleScript.